Saturday, September 8, 2007
"Go Put Another Nail on that Coffin!"
"Go put another nail on that coffin!" my dear husband says to me as I walk into the bathroom to do another home pregnancy test. He had asked if I would be willing to take one home pregnancy test everyday for the next 3-4 days while we wait for the beta test result to come in. His comment cracked me up and made me laugh. I know it kind of sounds morbid, but I found it humorous. Since then, I have wondered why did I find it so witty and funny? I think it was a very clever way to express his acceptance of my desire to close up that coffin (which symbolized another failed cycle and death to hope) as fast as I can and his need to hold on to one more day of hope, even if it didn't look good. Each home pregnancy test gave another opportunity for him to let that hope go and for me to find one more day of closure. He made what could have been very emotionally charged situation a little light. Some wives may find his comment really insensitive, but for me it worked. I appreciate good dry humor. He makes me laugh, even in the most difficult of circumstances. I had no idea that his wit, which I found so attractive when we were dating, would be so useful in carrying me through even some of the most difficult times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment