Saturday, September 29, 2007

Donor Embryo, Embryo Adoption...

In my research about different options, I came across some articles and websites on donor embryo and embryo adoption. Instead of adopting an infant or a child, some may choose to adopt an embryo. Unlike adoption, an infertile woman has the opportunity to experience pregnancy and carry the baby to birth. There are benefits to this because the parents medical history is known, you have nine months to bond with the child, it is a lot cheaper than donor egg (around 30k) or adoption ($18-30+k). If the embryo is donated, the whole process will cost about $6,000. On the other hand, the embryo adoption route is a little more expensive as there is the agency fee, the legal processing and home study fees, in addition to the treatment itself. The total can be between $11-$18k. (I guess no matter which alternative route we choose to take, it will be expensive! I need to accept this fact and get over it...) The biggest risk with this alternative option is the potential for failure. With one embryo transfer there is 20-25% success rate.

While exploring, I realized that there are more white embryos that are available through embryo donor&adoption... I have yet to see any postings about Asian-Caucasian mix and I saw one Asian embryo up for adoption. It made me think about what the implication might be if we chose this route.... Can you imagine the surprise on everyone's face if the medical staff saw me popping out a white baby? Maybe I will be on the news as the first Asian woman to bear a white child! hahaha :) We had a good laugh over it, although it is a serious question to consider too. The best scenario would be to find a few Asian-Caucasian embryos. I guess being an inter-racial couple makes this whole thing a little bit more complicated.

This route feels attractive because it beats all the hassle of paperwork and legal processing that goes with international adoption! But, again, who knows whether I will get pregnant! If anyone knows anything more about adoption, embryo donor or embryo adoption, feel free to share them with me.

No comments: