Monday, October 15, 2007

Narrowing down on options...

I had my parents get in contact with agencies and some friends in Korea to learn more about the possibility of adoption for ex-pats living overseas. They received the same answer. We would have to reside in the States to make it work. Furthermore, due to recent changes in adoption law in Korea, the wait list is pretty long. So, the door to Korea adoption is now closed. If we really want to adopt from Korea and feel strongly God leading us in this direction, I guess we can always go back home, but we don't sense God leading us to go back for a long period of time now to pursue this.

Korea was our first choice, but we also anticipated that it may not work out because we are not in the U.S. Our next preferences are adopting from Kazakhstan or Nepal. We have heard that Kazakh adoption is pretty rigorous so I'll need to do more research and find out exactly how rigorous it is. We have read and heard that the babies in Kazakh are well taken care of and that we can adopt two children simultaneously (if we're up for the challenge). Also, there are lots of Eurasian babies, which is a nice bonus. Nepal is a little easier, but the political situation is quite unstable, so we're not sure what kind of risk we will be taking if we decide to pursue this.

We have considered adopting from India but from what I could gather so far, it is a big pain in the rear and most of the agencies are not accepting new applicants. I have also thought about Mongolia as a potential place... Meanwhile, we continue to explore embryo adoption as well. We'll continue to pray and do our homework and see how God leads.

No comments: