Monday, December 17, 2007

Infertility miracle drug--DHEA?

A few days ago I received the result of my clomid challenge test result. Basically, it confirmed the fact that I have diminished ovarian reserve. I have not reached a complete failure, but my eggs are of low quantity and quality. I sent our specialist the test results and asked him for his analysis. His response was what I mentioned above. I asked a specialist in San Diego for his second opinion. Based on my medical records and track record, he felt that I had maybe 5-10% chance at conception using my own eggs per IVF cycle. With donor eggs, he said there is 75-80% per cycle. So, it is confirmed that my eggs are no good.

My specialist shared that perhaps I should consider maybe trying DHEA (testostrone) for three months and IVF again. There is a buzz going around in the world of infertility treatment that DHEA has shown to improve egg quality and quantity. The long term effect of the drug is unknown as it is a very new discovery but it seems to be helping some women. He sent us an article from a recent study that was conducted and although the average showed increase in egg production, it didn't mention how many actually resulted in pregnancy.

My husband and I have been wondering whether we should give this a try or let it rest. I am feeling somewhat weary and I don't know whether I want to reopen this door again. I am feeling pretty ready to let the hope of conception using my eggs lay to rest. It is hard to keep this door cracked open. There are other options like adoption, embryo donation, and donor eggs if we really want to pursue parenthood. At this point, I would rather close the door and basically accept the body God has given me. In some ways the test result was another closure I needed to move forward. I feel like God can open the door if He chooses to since He created Jesus with no sperm (maybe he used Mary's egg). If He chooses to He can create a baby for us without DHEA or with my crabby eggs. But, I don't feel excited at the idea of taking more drugs, getting more shots, and going through the roller coaster of emotions all over again.

No comments: